Have you ever been thrown with loads and loads of notes on your face where you just cannot decide where to start and how to cover the whole topic? When you have a whole book to read about who is stephen hawking then what is the way to memorize the details or important aspects of that book? Obviously; we are only humans and are meant to forget such large portions of knowledge but there must be a way to keep important details in mind. Besides memorizing the topic, even for comprehension of the topic; you need to make notes and separate out important points. These important points, later on, come in handy for academic writing projects. Students who do not make any such notes find it difficult to write dissertation projects and take the assistance of dissertation writers UK which is absolutely fine but you need to be prepared. This making of notes and points is the form of mind mapping about which this post will be discussing in detail.
What is mind mapping and its importance?
You might find many Simple mind map examples for students that will guide them to make points and notes on any given topic. However; prior to that; students must be aware of what actually mind mapping is. The visual representation of information known as mind mapping is a flexible tool that can help students with a variety of learning tasks.
Another name that is used for mind mapping is Visual thinking for schoolwork. In order to train students’ creative thinking, inquiry can be integrated with mind maps. The importance of mind mapping can be realized from the following points:
- It aids in the conceptualization of new ideas.
- It helps in the in-depth exploration of ideas.
- It helps in the facilitation of a better comprehension of links and relationships.
- It supports learning.
- It improves information recording.
- It shows how different facts and ideas are related.
- It enhances creating problem-solving ability.
How can students make full use of mind mapping?
Every academic institution, be it high school or university, has different means of evaluating the student’s skills. Through this, they can assess the student’s ability as to how much they have comprehended from the classes and other intellectual sessions. Mind mapping proves to be extremely helpful in order to prepare students for all forms of assessment. There are different ways to make full use of mind mapping that can prove to be extremely helpful for students. Some of the ways that can be helpful for mind mapping purposes are as follows:
- Taking notes.
- Summarizing the information.
- Creating presentations.
- Studying for an assessment.
The basic way of drawing a mind map involves the following stages:
This involves writing the title of the topic or the main idea of the topic in the center. It is up to the student whether he wants to draw it in the form of a diagram or make it in the form of a chart.
Now draw out the lines from the diagram or from the chart. These lines can be as many as the sub-headings you intend to add.
To all those subheadings that you made; add important points or notes to dive deeper into the subject.
Keep making as many lines and protrusions as long as your topic is not fully covered and all the details have yet not been added to your mind map/ diagram or chart.
If you are finding it difficult or time-taking to create the whole mind map; you can use the below-mentioned mind-mapping tools that come with their individualized features:
- Coggle: Easily create visuals of your ideas with this online tool that allows you to create and share mind maps.
- Imindq: Brainstorm, plan projects and create amazing presentations with this robust online mind-mapping tool. You can even test drive it for free to see if it is the right application for your students.
- MindMaple Classic: Personalize your mind maps with colors, images, and pictures by using this tool that works with various platforms, including Windows, iOS, etc.
- Popplet: Capture facts, thoughts, and images and learn to create relationships between them with this free online tool that allows you to create mind-mapping and brainstorming diagrams.
- MindMeister: An online mind mapping tool that lets you capture, develop and share ideas visually using a variety of platforms including Windows and Mac OS.
The effective use of mind maps:
Basic mind map-making can sometimes leave you all confused because of the clustered form of the diagram. So; you can follow the below-mentioned steps to use it effectively:
- Use Single Words or Uncomplicated Phrases: Keep things simple. Single strong words and short, meaningful phrases can convey the same meaning more potently. Excess words just clutter a min map.
- Print Words: They will be easier to read than joined-up or indistinct writing.
- Use Color to Separate Different Ideas: Color can help to show the organization of the subject. It can also make your Mind Map a more appealing document, and help you to visualize the different sections of your Mind Map for future recall.
- Use Symbols and Images: Pictures can help you to remember information more effectively than words, so use symbols or pictures that mean something to you, use it.
- Using Cross-Linkages: Information in one part of a Mind Map may relate to another part, so draw lines to show these cross-linkages. This will help you to see how one part of the subject affects another.
Mind mapping is an interesting way of memorizing and comprehending a topic. There are different formats and ways that you can adopt for this purpose. Choose whichever way suits you the most and you find it easy to understand. Hopefully; the above-mentioned post will help the students in realizing the importance of mind mapping and getting to learn the way of making a mind map.
Bestassignmentwriter. (2022, Jan 26th). Why Students Assigned Academic Assignments Frequently? https://bestassignmentwriter.co.uk/blog/why-students-assigned-academic-assignment-frequently/ .
Siti ZUBAIDAH, N. M. (2017, Dec 15th). Improving Creative Thinking Skills of Students through Differentiated Science Inquiry Integrated with Mind Map. Journal of Turkish Science Education.